There has been plenty of debate amongst homeowners over the benefits of carpet versus hardwood flooring in the home. Sure, both are popular choices, but it all depends on a number of factors. Obviously, hardwood flooring is generally the more expensive of the two. It’s also the one most homeowners strive to have in their homes. But carpet can also be a luxurious choice.
Carpet vs. Hardwood Flooring
Let’s explore the benefits and drawbacks that will help make your decision easier.
- Often the more expensive option when choosing new flooring.
- Has a classic appearance that increases resale values.
- Hardwood flooring is more susceptible to scratches and scuffs but typically lasts longer than other flooring systems.
- Natural and sustainable material, environmentally friendly.
- Budget friendly and suitable for most homeowners.
- A varied option with countless colors and styles.
- A little harder to clean than most flooring solutions.
- Made from soft material, so more comfortable to walk on.
One of the most significant differences between the two – and likely the deciding factor – will be the total cost. It all depends on your budget.
First, it’s important to note that hardwood flooring is often the most expensive flooring option on the market. You’re paying for quality, consistency, and long-lasting flooring. The long-term benefits of hardwood flooring generally help pay for the system. You’re looking at a cost of up to $12 per square foot.
Carpet, on the other hand, is generally much more budget friendly. You can find great carpet options on the market for anywhere from $3 to $5 per square foot installed, complete with padding.